Major Catch-Up, Part 2: NYC

Leave a Comment
Last April John had a meeting in NYC at the beginning of Kailen's spring break, so of course, we tagged along! It was her first time in the Big Apple, and my second. To say I was excited to visit NYC again would be a total understatement, and I was way beyond thrilled to get to introduce all of it to her.

We took the hop-on-hop-off bus tour, which, in my opinion, is the only way to see NYC. It was really cold and rainy that first day, so we all got hats and sweatshirts at Canal Street. The sun did peak out for a bit when we got to the Statue of Liberty, though. No matter how many times I see this sight, it will always take my breath away a bit.


We also went to the 9-11 Memorial site (where are my pictures?), and it was quite emotional. The fountains are amazing, and there is a very special spirit there.

We also took Kailen to The Shake Shack a couple of times, and all the other touristy spots.

She also got to see her first musical, and it just happened to be Wicked, on Broadway. Needless to say, she is now a huge Wicked fan! Who wouldn't be, right? And when they raise Elphaba to the top of the stage while she's belting out the final notes of "Defying Gravity," oh my...there's not much like it.


John had meetings a day-and-a-half while we there, and one morning Kailen and I really needed some healthy food. Like, really. So we walked until we found a shop that also had a buy-it-by-the-pound buffet. She loaded up a container with salad, and I loaded up a container with fruits. We also grabbed an orange juice and a Greek yogurt. Did I mention this was by the pound? Yeah. We went to check out, and I thought I was going to die. $43.00!!!!! But, it was soooo worth every single penny. We thought we'd only eat about half and save the rest for later, but we ate the whole thing!


I also dragged her (kind of literally) to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and we spent a couple of hours there. When I go back (because I will!), I'm going to spend an entire day there. The first time I went there, I was so overwhelmed, that it was way too much, and I only spent a couple of hours looking around before I just had to leave. Next time will be different!

We also saw Live with Kelly and Michael, and it was seriously one of the highlights of our trip! Kelly and Michael were funny and very down to earth. They'd come and visit with the audience during the commercial breaks, and we loved it!


We saw Anne Hathaway!!!!!


And, after the show was over, they said they had to tape another guest for a future show, and that anyone who wanted to could stick around. They didn't say who the extra guest was, but we stuck around anyway.

It was Colin Firth!!!!



As we were leaving the show, people from Katie Couric's show were outside the studio telling people they had empty chairs in Katie's show, so we went! It was really fun! I've loved Katie Couric since her Today Show days, and it was fun to see her up close!


After Katie was over, we walked back to our hotel to get all our luggage and catch a car to the airport. Look what we almost walked right by:


The Manhattan Temple!

It was a jam-packed, but totally awesome trip. And I can't wait to go again! Kailen thought it was way too busy and crowded, but I could totally live there for a year just to get to do everything and see everything. I love it!

One thing I didn't get to do was run in Central Park again. I'd torn my meniscus, and my doctor put a halt to any running. :( Next time, though, me and Central Park have a running date!

More on that in the next catch-up post.

And I'm now wondering where all my other pictures are...I'll definitely need to add more later. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.